For years, moderators have asked research participants to tell us stories about their relationships with brands, product usage occasions or a memorable shopping excursion. Their stories are engaging, they bring us along on their journeys, and they inspire us. Now it’s our turn to engage our clients, tell them the stories gleaned from research, and inspire them to action.
- They don’t have the time, or the inclination, to dig through mountains of data looking for stories. That’s our job.
- Our stories help marketers better understand the insights behind the data we are presenting, allowing them to make smarter business decisions
- Research stories help client teams understand the direction their business is moving
- Marketers need our research stories to help them craft their brand story, and get their customers talking about their brand
- Stories can strike an emotional chord and motivate people to change their behaviors.
Starting with the end may be the best place to start your story. At Doyle, we ask our clients, at the onset of a project, to share with us the broader business challenges that need to be addressed. We then tailor the research design and craft projective exercises to help consumers provide us with the insights needed for rich character development. Their consumer experiences reveal the storylines needed to understand them, their relationship with the brand, product or category, and the product conflict. As researchers and storytellers, we then distill the insights from the data, retell the story to our clients and provide them with recommendations on how their products can be the heroes that save the day.