- Business Objective: Facing declining sales, the brand team sought to explore how their current product could be improved to be more enticing and reverse the current trend.
- Research Objective: To evaluate the product, in terms of ease of preparation, barriers to purchase, key likes/dislikes, suggested improvements for use in product optimization.
- Shop-along: Participants shopped for and purchased the product.
- Video diary: Participants video recorded their preparation of the product, how they served it, and their family’s reaction. Doyle’s moderator reviewed all recordings and developed a list of probes specific to each participant’s recording.
- Webcam interviews: follow up interviews with each participant to explore challenges in finding the product on shelf, perceptions of the product relative to competitive offerings, barriers to future purchases, suggested enhancements, etc.
- Results: Research indicated that the decline in sales was a result of limited awareness, shelf presence and packaging, not the product itself. As a result, the packaging was updated to increase visibility.